Spam emails are those emails that include online offers, advertisements, coupons, scams, and similar unwanted emails. While not all these emails are a threat, some spam emails such as phishing messages are a potential threat to the security of your account and information.
In case you are also getting overwhelmed with spam emails in your Yahoo Mail account from a particular (or different) email address, Yahoo offers multiple ways to block such emails and never receive them in the future in your Yahoo Mail account. To know how to prevent spam emails in your Yahoo Mail account, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
Ways to Block Spam in Yahoo Mail Account
1.) Mark Spam in your Yahoo Mail Account
Whenever you notice a spam email in your Yahoo Mail account, you can simply mark it as spam. This is the simplest way to minimize spam emails in your Yahoo Mail account. To mark an unwanted email as spam:
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Locate the email which you wish to mark as spam.
- Right-click on the email and select “This is Spam” option.
- Alternatively, you can also mark an email as spam by selecting the checkbox next to email & clicking “Spam” button located at the top menu bar, or you can open the email and then click on the “Spam” button in the menu bar.
2.) Report Spam to your Yahoo Mail Account
Apart from marking a suspected email as spam, another effective measure to get rid of the spam problem in your Yahoo Mail account is to report about them to Yahoo. If too many spam emails are cluttering the inbox of your Yahoo Mail account, you can simply select those emails and report spam. To know how to report spam in your Yahoo Mail account, follow these steps:
- Select or open the email which you wish to report.
- Click the “down” icon next to the “Spam” button in the menu bar and select “Report Spam” option from the list.
- Similarly, as per the type of spam email, you can choose any of the options given in the drop-down menu under the Spam button.
- Report Spam
- Report a Hacked Account
- Report a Phishing Scam
- Not my Mail
3.) Block Email Address of the Sender
In case you are receiving spam emails from a particular email address, you can simply block the email address of the sender in your Yahoo Mail account. To block an email address:
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account.
- Click on the “Gear” icon located at the top top-right corner of your account’s page.
- Select the “Settings” option from the drop-down menu.
- Under the “Settings” window, click on the “Blocked Addresses” option located on the left-side panel.
- Enter the email address in the “Add an address” field and click on the “Block” button.
- After that, click on the “Save” button to apply changes.
- The email address will be blocked, and you will no more receive emails from the said email address.
- Similarly, you can block up to 1000 email addresses in your Yahoo Mail account.
4.) Unsubscribe from Mailing Lists
In case you have unknowingly subscribed to any service and receiving a large number of emails in your Yahoo Mail account on a regular basis. You can stop receiving an email from such sender by unsubscribing from their mailing lists. To unsubscribe:
- Open the subscription-based email in your Yahoo Mail account.
- Scroll down to locate the unsubscribe option and click on it.
- However, in case you doubt the legitimacy of these emails, you can always mark them as spam.
5.) Tips to Avoid Spam in the Future
Apart from the above measure, the following are some essential tips to follow to avoid spam emails in your Yahoo Mail account.
- Avoid replying to unknown senders.
- Avoid responding to email subscriptions asking to be removed.
- Be careful when giving your email address to someone.
- Never sign up or register to websites claiming to remove your email from spam lists. Though some might be legitimate, most of them are email address collectors used by spam senders.
If the above measures don’t resolve the spamming issue in your Yahoo Mail account, you can always dial Yahoo customer service phone number and get immediate technical assistance.