Both Windows and Mac-based computer systems come with numerous features and functions to make things easier and convenient for users. One of such features is the availability of a default email application. If you would have noticed that whenever you click on a link to send an email (maybe for a complaint or suggestion), your system automatically opens an email program on your screen with the To field being pre-populated with the email address of the individual or company you are looking to send the message, that application or program is known as the default email client. While by default, there would be an email app already available for your Mac and Windows OS, however, if you wish to configure your computer to particular use an email client of your choice (say Outlook), you can easily do so by following certain steps. To know how to set Outlook as a default Mail client for your Windows and Mac system, go through the information provided below.
Guide to Configure Outlook as a Default Mail Client for Windows and Mac
Considering the Outlook is a Microsoft product, you may think that configuring Outlook as a default app on Apple Mac must be a troublesome task. Well, no need to worry as the process is really simple and should take no more than a couple of minutes. Here are the steps you will need to perform.
- On your Mac computer, you will first need to open your Apple Mail program. In Apple Mail, you will need to click on the Preferences option and then on the General
- In the General section, you will need to select the Microsoft Outlook option in the Default email reader
- Now, you will need to drag and drop an email into a project to create a task.
- Once you have dropped an email, you will need to go to the Files section of the task to find the email.
- Next, you will need to do download the email in order to get it on your desktop.
- Once you download the email to your desktop, you will need to right-click on it. This will open the menu on your screen.
- From the menu that appears on your screen, you will need to click on the get info
- Then, from the menu that displays on your screen, you will need to change the “always open with” option to Microsoft Outlook.
- After that, select the “Change All” option and then click on the Continue option.
- Microsoft Outlook will become the default email client on your Mac system. Now, whenever you will open the task and then the email, your system will launch Microsoft Outlook instead of Apple Mail.
While Windows computers come loaded with a Mail application to carry out your email-related tasks, however, if you wish to set Outlook as the default mail client for your Windows computer, you can follow the steps provided below.
- For Newer Versions
- Launch the Outlook program on your computer.
- Once you have opened the Outlook program, click on the File A drop-down menu will appear on your screen.
- From the drop-down menu, you will need to go to Options > General
- In the General section, go to the Start up options section and select the checkbox next to Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar
- Once you are done making the changes, click on the OK Outlook will be configured as the default email client for Windows.
- For Office 2010
- Open the Outlook program on your computer.
- Next, you will need to click on the File
- From the drop-down menu, you will need to select the “Options” option.
- In the Options section, you will need to go to the Start up options section and select the checkbox next to Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, contacts, and calendar
- After making the required changes, click on the OK
For Office 2007
- On your computer, open the Outlook email program.
- Once you have opened the email client, you will need to click on the Tools
- In the Tools menu, select the “Options” option and then click on the Other
- Now, you will need to go to the General section and select the checkbox next to Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, contacts, and calendar
- After making the required changes, you will need to click on the OK This will make the Outlook as the default email client for your computer.
So, now as you have complete information, you can easily set Outlook as default email applications for your Windows and Mac computer. For further help you can dial toll free Outlook customer service phone number to fix your email issue.