Sending an email meant for someone to someone else can be quite frustrating, especially when it’s a confidential one. Well, can’t be said about all email services but if you face such a situation with your Outlook program, you will be glad to know that you can easily recall an email in Outlook.
While you can recall and rectify the wrong or incomplete email sent from your Outlook email program, however, this feature comes with certain conditions that are listed below.
- Both sender and recipient should have an Outlook, Office 365 or Microsoft Exchange email account in the same organization.
- Both the original email and the recalled email should be delivered in the Inbox folder of the recipient.
- Only those emails that haven’t been read by the recipient will be recallable.
- The recipient from whom you are recalling the email must have Outlook for Windows opened when you are recalling the email.
- In case the recipient is using Outlook via Web Access, Mac, or Mobile Device, you will not be able to recall the email.
Now, as you know the conditions in which you can recall the emails, you can follow the below-mentioned instructions to recall emails in your Outlook program.
Steps to Recall An Email in Outlook
For Office 2007
If you are using Office 2007, you will need to follow these step-by-step instructions to recall an email.
1.) Go to Mail > Navigation Pane and click on the Sent Items option.
2.) Next, you will need to open the sent email you wish to recall.
3.) Then, go to the Message tab, select Actions group, and click on the Other Actions option. Under Other Actions’ drop-down menu, click on the Recall This Message.
4.) After that, you will need to click on the option –
Delete unread copies and replace with a new message or Delete unread copies and replace with a new message.
NOTE: When sending an email to multiple recipients, it is suggested to clear the checkbox next to – Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient.
5.) In case, you wish to send a replacement email for the recalled message, simply compose the message and click on the Send button.
NOTE: If you are unable to see the “Recall This Message” option, this could be because you are not having an Exchange Server account or you are not using Microsoft Office Outlook 2007.
To know the types of email accounts you have in your Outlook profile, you can check the Account Settings dialog box in Outlook. For this:
- Go to the Tools menu and select Account Settings
- Next, go to the Email tab, the Type column will be listing the type of email account for each entry. This is how you can know the type of email accounts active in your Outlook profile.
For Newer Versions of Outlook
1.) Select the Sent Items folder from the folder pane located on the left-hand side of the Outlook window.
2.) In the Sent Items section, select the email you wish to recall by double-clicking on it.
3.) Next, go to the Message tab, select the Actions option. A drop-down menu will appear on the screen. In the drop-down menu, you will need to select the “Recall This Message” option. A box will appear on the screen.
NOTE: In case you don’t see the “Recall This Message” option, you might not be having an Exchange account or the feature is not available in your organization.
4.) In the “Recall This Message” box, you will need to click on the Delete unread copies of this message or Delete unread copies and replace with a new message and then on the OK button.
5.) Then, if you wish to send a replacement email, simply compose a message and click on the Send button. The replacement message will be sent.
So, this is how you can recall an email in your Outlook email program and rectify and replace it accordingly. However, make sure that the email you are recalling meets the conditions mentioned above.