With MS Outlook a user gets the convenience of managing his multiple email accounts efficiently. As people nowadays tend to have multiple email accounts like one for professional use and another for personal, it can be quite troublesome to sign in to these accounts individually each time to access emails. This is where an email program like MS Outlook comes in handy. It allows users to add multiple email accounts and access them conveniently without any need of signing to each of the accounts separately.
If you are looking to configure your Gmail account with MS Outlook, we have provided complete step-by-step instructions to help you quickly connect your Gmail account to Outlook.
Steps to Configure Gmail with MS Outlook
NOTE: You can connect your Gmail account easily with the auto-configure method of MS Outlook. However, you need to ensure that your Gmail allows you to download emails as POP or to map folder and emails using IMAP.
To Set up Gmail to Connect with Microsoft Outlook
- Sign in to your Gmail account.
- Click on the “Gear” icon and select “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Under the “Settings” window, go to “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab located in the above section.
- In the “POP Download” section, select option – Enable POP for all mail that arrives from now on.
- Then in the option – “When messages are accessed with POP”, select “Archive Gmail’s copy”.
- After that, click on the “Save Changes” button.
This is how you can set up your Gmail account to allow Outlook download emails using the POP3 protocol. However, you want to map the folders and access emails from your Gmail using IMAP, follow the steps 1 to 3 (above) and instead of selecting “POP Download”, go to “IMAP Access” option and choose “Enable IMAP”. Then, click on the “Save Changes” button. Once you are done setting up that, you can follow these steps to configure Gmail with Microsoft Outlook.
To Configure Gmail with MS Outlook (Automatically)
- On your Outlook, go to “File” option and select “Add New Account” option.
- Now, enter your email address and password in the window that appears on your screen. Click on the “Next” button.
- Wait for a few minutes to let Microsoft automatically search for Gmail settings to configure the account.
NOTE: In case you select POP protocol in Gmail settings, you would get a POP3 account. Similarly, if you select the IMAP protocol, you will get an IMAP account in Outlook. Moreover, if you wish to configure your Gmail account with Outlook manually, you can follow the below-mentioned steps:
To Configure Gmail with MS Outlook (Manually)
- Open Outlook, and click on the “File” option to select “Add Account”.
- On the next screen, select option – “Manually configure server settings or additional server types”. Click on the “Next” button.
- Choose “Internet Email” and again click on the “Next” button in the next window.
- Now, in the next window that appears on your screen, you will need to enter your name, email address, and password in the relevant fields.
- Next, under “Account Type”, select POP or IMAP (as per your preference). In the “Incoming mail server” section, type “pop.gmail.com” or “imap.gmail.com”. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP), enter “smtp.gmail.com”.
- Then, click on the “More Settings” button located on the bottom-right corner. A new box will pop-up – go to Outgoing Server tab and select:
- My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires Authentication
- Use Same Settings As My Incoming Server
- After that, go to “Advanced” tab, and enter “995” in “Incoming server” for “POP3” or “993” for “IMAP”. Select option –“This Server Requires an Encrypted Connection (SSL)”. For IMAP, set the encryption type to SSL. For the “Outgoing server (SMTP)”, enter “587” and set the encryption type to TLS. After that, click on the “OK” button.
- Then, click on the “Test Account Settings…” option to the test the configuration.
- If the Test Account Settings gets completed successfully, you have configured your Gmail account to Outlook correctly. However, the test fails, review the settings and again run the test.
- Complete the process and exit the windows. You can now start accessing your Gmail account easily using Microsoft Outlook.
Similarly, you can configure your other email account to MS Outlook and easily access and manage them from Outlook. Make sure to use appropriate POP and IMAP settings as per particular service. To know more about the above method or to get answers to any of your queries and issues, you can always rely on MS Outlook Customer Support team for appropriate solutions.