Having a single inbox for all your incoming emails in Yahoo Mail can be quite annoying, especially when searching for a particular message. Although Yahoo Mail offers basic and advanced search options to locate an email in your account, you can also categorize emails by adding filters to send particular emails automatically to a relevant folder in your Yahoo Mail account. Categorizing emails not only helps in sorting out important emails but also offers you to have quick and easy access to them. To know how you can categorize emails in your Yahoo Mail account, we have provided below a step-by-step instructions guide for you to follow.
Steps to Categorize Emails in Yahoo Mail Account:
1.) Create Folders
To sort your incoming emails into relevant folders, you will first need to create new folders in your Yahoo Mail account. To create new folder(s),
- Sign into your Yahoo Mail account.
- Point your mouse cursor over the “Folders” option on the left-side panel, you will see “+“ icon appearing on the right side of the “Folders” option.
- Click on the “+“ icon. A blank field will appear.
- Enter the name of the folder which you wish to create and press Enter on your keyboard.
- The folder will get added to your Yahoo Mail account.
2.) Add Filter to Automatically Sort Emails in New Folder
After creating a folder in your Yahoo Mail account, the next step is to add a filter for automatically sorting emails in the new folder. To add filter(s),
- In your Yahoo Mail account, point your mouse cursor to the “Gear” icon located on the top-right corner of your Yahoo Mail account’s page. This will open a drop-down menu.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Settings” option. A “Settings” box will pop-up on your screen.
- Under “Settings” box, click on the “Filters” option located on the left-side panel.
- Click on the “Add” button. This will open up a new window on your screen.
- Enter a suitable title for the new filter under “Filter name” field.
- Next, select the appropriate rule(s) for sorting emails under “If an incoming message meets all of these conditions” section.
- After that, select the Folder which you created in above steps under the option – “Then move the message to this folder”.
- Then, click on the “Save” button located on the bottom-left corner.
- Again click on the “Save” button located on the bottom-left corner of “Settings” box.
- Now your relevant incoming emails will get delivered to the new folder created by you.
- Similarly, you can create up to 1000 filters in your Yahoo Mail account.
NOTE: A new filter will only be applicable for future incoming emails and not for emails already existing in your account.
3.) Edit or Remove Filters in your Yahoo Mail Account
If you ever wish to edit or remove a filter in your Yahoo Mail account, you can do so by following these steps:
- Go to the “Gear” icon and select “Settings” option from the drop-down menu.
- Under Settings’ window, select “Filters” option.
- In the “Filters” section, select the filter which you wish to edit or remove.
- To edit a filter, click on the “Edit” button located at the top.
- To remove a filter, click on the “Remove” button located at the top.
- After making appropriate changes, click on the Save button located at the bottom-left corner of the “Settings” box.
In most of the cases, a user will be able to easily sort and organize incoming emails in his/her Yahoo Mail account, however, in case of any problem, Yahoo Mail user can always seek assistance from our Yahoo tech support executives.