If you have been expecting some important emails in your Hotmail account but they never get delivered, there can be numerous reasons causing the problem. Some of the reasons responsible for the issue include – No internet connection, Message is getting delivered to the Junk Folder, Email profile is corrupt, or Incorrect email rule, Outlook. To know how you can fix the “Hotmail Account is not receiving emails” problem, go through the information provided below.
Guide to Fix “Hotmail Account Not Receiving Emails” Problem
NOTE: Microsoft has changed its Hotmail email service brand name to Outlook.
Check your Junk Email folder
- Select the Junk Email folder and look for the missing email in your Outlook program.
- If you find any email that shouldn’t be in the junk folder, you will need to right-click on those emails and select Mark as not junk.
- The email will be moved to your inbox automatically.
Clean out your inbox
- If the inbox folder of your Hotmail account is full, you will not be able to receive new messages.
- To make space in your inbox folder, you will need to empty your junk folder by right-clicking on the Junk Email option and selecting the Empty folder
- Also, you can sweep unwanted emails from your inbox or archive folders.
NOTE: Sweep allows you to automatically delete all the incoming emails from a particular sender, store only the important email from that sender, remove email from the sender that’s older than 10 days.
- To sweep an email, simply select the desired email and press the Sweep
- You can also make space in your Inbox folder by saving photos and documents to OneDrive.
Check your inbox filter and sort settings
- If your inbox folder is filtering emails based on categories or if the sort order is different than usual in your Outlook account, you may not find the emails in the location you expect to see. You can access the Filtering and Sorting option at the top of your message list.
- For filtering, you will need to select the Filter option and click on the “what type of messages you want to see” option.
- For sorting, you will need to go to Filter > Sort by option and select the option according to which you wish to sort by.
- If you wish to look for recent messages, you will need to sort by Date. Similarly, if you wish to check for messages from a specific person, sort by From.
Check the Other tab
Focused Inbox divides your inbox into two separate tabs – Focused and Other, to let you focus on the emails that are most important to you. If Focused Inbox is enabled, some emails delivered to you could be in the Other tab. Right-click on any email which you wish to move to Focused tab and select Move to Focused inbox or Always move to Focused inbox folder. This also lets Focused Inbox to learn which email should go to the Focused tab always.
Check your Blocked Senders and Safe Senders Lists
- Go to Settings (gear icon) option and select View all Outlook settings
- Next, select the Mail option and click on the Junk email
- If you find the email address of the sender listed under Blocked senders and domains section, you will need to select their email address and click Remove (Trash icon) option. After that, click Save.
- If the email address of the sender is not in your Blocked senders list, you can add them to Safe senders and domains Email from contacts in the Safe Senders list will never go to the Junk Email folder.
- Then, you will need to click on the Settings option (gear icon) and select View all Outlook settings
- After that, select Mail, and then click on the Junk email
- Enter the email address of the sender in the provided field and then select the Add Finally, click on the Save option.
Check your Email Rules
- Go to Settings (Gear icon) option and click on the View all Outlook settings
- Next, you will need to select the Mail option and then click on the Rules
- If one or more rules is preventing you from seeing the email you want, you will need to do one of the following:
- Select the rule you wish to delete and click on the Delete
- Select the rule and then click on the Edit option to change the rule settings to find the emails more easily. For example, you can change the action in the rule from delete option to categorize or flag
- Then, select the Save
- Select the “X” icon located at the upper right of the Settings window to return to your inbox.
Check email forwarding
Make Sure that Email Forwarding is Enabled.
- Open Forwarding settings option.
- To enable forwarding, you will need to select the Enable forwarding If you wish to disable forwarding, simply deselect the checkbox.
- If you wish your emails to go to the forwarding address and stay in your Outlook.com mailbox, you will need to select Keep a copy of forwarded messages
- If you have configured any other email account to forward to your Outlook.com inbox, you will need to ensure that forwarding hasn’t expired and is configured correctly.
Check if your Account is blocked
If you are unable to send or receive emails in your Outlook email account, your account might have been temporarily blocked by Outlook due to some unusual sign-in activity.
Remove Some Connected Accounts
Outlook allows you to connect a maximum of 20 other email accounts to your Outlook.com account. If you’ve connected more than 20 email accounts, you may face trouble sending or receiving messages from any of your connected accounts. To fix the issue, it is suggested to remove some connected accounts to keep the total number of connected accounts below 20.
Contact the Sender
If even after following the sabove-mentioned solutions you are still not able to receive messages in your Hotmail account from a sender, it is best to contact the sender and let them know that:
- Their message is not getting delivered to Outlook.com.
- They should try to reach Microsoft support through postmaster.live.com.
So, these are the different workarounds that will help you receive emails in your Hotmail account as usual. If you need technical support, You can call Toll free Hotmail Customer Support Service Number to fix email problems.