Although you do get a remote when you purchase a Roku device, however, if your remote has stopped working or you have lost your remote, you can still connect your Roku device to WiFi Without a Remote by following the instructions provided below.
Guide to Connect Roku to WiFi Without Remote
- Before following the instructions provided below, make sure that you arrange two mobile devices. This is because the Hotspot of your mobile phone can prevent the network saved on your Roku device from connecting to the new network. While one mobile device will work as a mobile hotspot, another will be used in place of the Roku remote. Here are the steps.
- The steps provided below are suggested for the Android mobile device only. The steps may vary depending on the Android version you are using on your device.
- While the below-mentioned functions are provided for Android mobile devices, you can also use an iOS device. However, make sure to download the Roku mobile app from the App Store for iOS devices. Also, the settings options and other functions provided below may be different for the iOS devices.
- To begin with, you will first need to go to the Settings app on your Android phone and tap on the Mobile Hotspot
- Next, you will need to tap on the “Set up Mobile Hotspot” option to open the Hotspot menu.
- You will be prompted to continue to the next menu after showing the Mobile Data Usage notification. Here, simply tap on the OK button to continue.
- On the next screen, you will need to add the WiFi network information saved on your Roku device from the Set up Mobile Hotspot You will need to enter the WiFi network name and password in the provided fields.
- Then, simply save the newly created Mobile Hotspot and review the settings and connection prompts before you tap on the OK button to activate the Mobile Hotspot.
Now to use your mobile device as a Roku remote, you will need to follow the instructions provided below.
To Use Mobile Device as a Roku Remote
NOTE:A Roku device will be controllable by the Roku app only when the device and app are using the same internet network.
- To begin with, you will first need to open the Roku app and tap on the Remote icon located at the bottom of the screen to open the remote.
- As the layout of the default remote is almost similar to the hardware remote, you will need to tap on the keys just like you would on a regular Roku remote. If you want you can change the layout of the app to be used with swipe gestures instead of the usual tapping gestures. You can make these changes using the remote settings menu.
Now, to know the steps to update the WiFi settings on a Roku without a remote, you will need to follow the steps provided below.
To Update WiFi Settings on a Roku Device Without a Remote
- Start by connecting the second mobile device to the mobile hotspot and then open the Roku application on your device.
- Next, you will need to go to the Network settings in your Roku device using the Roku mobile app as the remote.
- Then, you will need to make the changes to the network settings in order to make it match the new WiFi network you want your Roku device to connect to.
- After that, you will need to turn off the Mobile Hotspot on your device and turn it on again to connect it to the WiFi network connection you just used for the Roku.
- Finally, you will be able to use the Roku mobile app remote just like the physical remote.
So, these are the steps that you will need to follow to connect your Roku device to a WiFi internet connection without a remote.