Outlook comes with numerous features and functions to make things convenient for users for carrying out various tasks. One such feature which is widely used by users is the option to schedule a meeting and send an invitation to others. If you also wish to create an event in the Calendar application of your Outlook and send an invitation of it to others, you can follow the instructions provided in this guide.
Steps to Send a Calendar Invite in Outlook
To Schedule a Meeting/Event
If you have not scheduled a meeting or event in your Outlook calendar yet, you can do so easily by following the steps provided below.
- There are multiple ways you can create a meeting request. So of the methods are as follows:
- Go to the Inbox section, select the New Items option and go to the Meeting Alternatively, you can also use hotkeys Ctrl + Shift + Q.
- In the Calendar, you will need to select a New Meeting Alternatively, you can also use the hotkeys Ctrl + Shift + Q.
- Using an email message in your Inbox folder, you can schedule a meeting by selecting the Reply with Meeting
- Now, to add attendees, there are two ways you can do that. These are:
- Simply add your attendees to the To field of the meeting request and go directly to Step 4.
- Another option is to use the Scheduling Assistant to see attendee schedules when you are using an Office 365 or an Exchange account.
- For the Scheduling Assistant, you will either need to click on the box under your name and enter the name or email address of the attendees or you will need to click on the Add Attendees button to open your address book.
- Make sure to click on the icon next to the name of the attendee in the Scheduling Assistant to mark a specific attendee as a Required Attendee, Optional Attendee, or a Resource.
- As you will start entering the name of an attendee, Outlook will automatically provide suggestions for the people you have met or have sent an email recently. You can select a name from the auto-suggestion list to add an attendee.
- In this step, you will need to add a meeting subject, start time, end time, and location. To do so, you will need to follow these steps:
- For Outlook 2016 and Office 365, you will need to enter the name of the location. As you will start typing the name of the location, Outlook will suggest a location that matches the letters typed by you. Simply select the location from the suggestion list or enter the location completely to find your match.
- Now, if you wish to attach a file to a meeting request, you will need to select the Attach File option from the Insert menu and select the file you wish to add.
- In order to not make it a recurring meeting, you will need to click on the Send
Enable Time To Leave
- In Outlook for iOS, you will need to select the Settings option and go to the “Time To Leave” option.
- Then, you will need to select a supported account and use the slider to enable “Time To Leave”.
NOTE: If you wish to turn on “Time To Leave” in your Outlook for Android app, unfortunately, this feature is not yet available for Android. However, Outlook.com and some Gmail accounts are supported.
Preventing Attendees from Forwarding a Meeting
You can prevent attendees from forwarding the meeting request to other people when you are creating a meeting request using Office 365. To do so, you will need to:
- Select Response Options and click on the Allow Forwarding before sending the meeting request. Clicking on the Allow Forwarding option will revoke permission to the attendees for forwarding the meeting to other people.
Adding a Person to an Existing Meetings
When you are the Meeting Owner
- Start by double-clicking to open the meeting. Go to the To line or the Scheduling Assistant to add the desired number of people to the meeting.
- Next, click on the Send button and use one of the following options:
- Send updates only to added or deleted attendees
- Send updates to all attendees
When you are not the Meeting Owner
- Go to the Meeting request and select the Respond > Forward option in the Respond group on the ribbon. Then, you can add recipient(s) to the meeting request.
- Next, click on the Send button. The meeting owner will receive a notification that you have forwarded the meeting request to more people.
Ending Meetings Early
You can end the meetings a couple of minutes early when you are using Outlook for Office 365. This option allows you to build in travel time between meetings. You can select a different duration for meetings under one hour and meetings which are over one hour.
- Go to File > Options > Calendars > Calendar Options.
- Select the checkbox next to the “End appointments and meetings early” option.
- Then, you will need to use the drop-down menu to select the number of minutes for meeting less than one hour and one hour or longer.
- After that, simply click on the OK button to save the changes.
So, these are the steps you will need to follow to schedule a meeting and send an invite to attendees in the Outlook program. If you are facing any issue while sending invite so you can contact Outlook customer support to fix your Outlook related issues.