Getting an error message “Communication Not Available” every time you try to print using your Lexmark Printer can be quite frustrating. As the reason causing this error can be more than just one, it becomes a bit difficult to solve it. If you are also facing the same issue in your Lexmark Printer and seeking a solution for it, you can follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
Steps to Fix Lexmark Printer Communication Error:
1.) Restart Your Printer and Computer
- Switch off your Lexmark printer.
- Restart your computer.
- Once your computer gets restarted, switch on your printer back.
- The problem should get fixed.
2.) Restart the Windows Printer Spooler
To restart your Windows printer spooler:
- Press Windows+R keys together to open a “Run” dialog box on your computer screen.
- Type or copy and paste “services.msc” in the Run dialog box. Click on the OK button. This will open a “Services” window on your computer screen.
- Now, find “Print Spooler” in the list and double-click on it to access the Properties dialog box.
- When the Properties dialog box opens, go to the “General” tab and click on the “Stop” button. Then click on the OK button to stop the service.
- Next, open the Properties dialog box again and click on the Start button under the General tab. Then, click on the OK button to start the service back.
- The problem should get fixed.
3.) Uninstall and Update the Printer Driver
Sometimes the problem could be occurring due to the corrupt printer driver software. Hence, it is recommended to try updating the driver software. Before updating the driver, make sure to uninstall the printer.
To uninstall the printer:
- Disconnect your Lexmark printer from the computer.
- Now, press Windows+R keys together on your keyboard. This will open a Run dialog box on your computer.
- Type or copy and paste “devmgmt.msc” in the Run dialog box. Then click on the OK button.
- In the device list that appears on your screen, find your Lexmark printer. You are most likely to find your printer listed under the category “Print Queues”.
- Just right-click on the device name and click on the “Uninstall” option. (NOTE: If your Lexmark printer has a Fax, make sure to uninstall it first before uninstalling the printer.)
- After that, restart your computer to allow the changes to make an effect.
- After your computer starts, connect your printer and visit the Lexmark’s website to download the latest driver software for your printer. Make sure to know your printer’s model number and compatibility with your operating system.
- Try using your printer normally after downloading and installing appropriate driver software.
4.) Avoid Using Printer for Longer Duration
Sometimes using your Lexmark for a longer duration (or unnecessarily running in the background even when not in use) can cause different issues including communication error. You can fix this issue by allowing your computer to switch off the printer to prevent unnecessarily running in the background.
- Open “Device Manager” on your computer.
- Open the “Universal Serial Bus” controller option.
- Double-click on the “USB Root Hub” device to open the Properties dialog box.
- Under the “USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, go to the “Power Management” tab and select the checkbox next to “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. Click on the OK button to save the changes.
So, these are some of the ways to fix the communication error in your Lexmark printer. If you need further assistance regarding the above issue or any other issue related to your Lexmark printer, feel free to reach the Lexmark customer support team for quick help.